Every year I dedicate a day in late summer to make a soup mix, and I thank myself all year long for having done so when I make a delicious, quick, easy, nutritious soup in just minutes. When my husband says, “That was fast,” I just nod and say, “Magic.”
To make the Magic Soup Mix you will need:
- A large container. I use my largest roasting pan.
- Chopping equipment. I use a food processer, but anything that chops vegetables will work.
- Large handled sturdy spoon to mix vegetables in container.
- Freezer bags. I like the pints, but quarts work well if you plan to make large batches of soup.
- Permanent marker to write date on the freezer bags.
- A large collection of fresh vegetables that work well in this mix: Tomatoes, Onions, Garlic, Zucchini, Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Peppers, Kale, Cabbage.
Just chop all the vegetables, put them together in your large container, and mix them well with your spoon. Then fill the freezer bags, date them, and flatten the bags so they stack nicely in your freezer. Then, when you want to make soup, it is quick and easy.
All you need to make the Magic Soup is:
- Broth – your own homemade or purchased – chicken, beef, or vegetable
- A package of your own frozen Magic Soup Mix
- Whatever leftover meat you have (optional)
- Noodles, rice, barley, quinoa, or beans (optional)
- Seasonings of your choice. It doesn’t need much as the veggie mix has such a wonderful flavor of its own and broth is salted.
Add the ingredients together and cook. Your homemade soup will be nutritious, delicious, inexpensive and easy.
You can be as creative as you wish. You can make vegetable, beef barley, chicken noodle, Mediterranean, black bean, pork and rice, chicken and rice, or whatever you choose. Enjoy. It’s magic!
P.S. These vegetables can also be used in casseroles.
Do you have a magic recipe to share?
Blessings for a simpler life,
- How to Win Writing Competitions
- BLESSINGS FOR A SIMPLER LIFE